Saturday 18 October 2014

Family

I wrote my Thanksgiving blog on the things I am thankful for and pointed out many of the things that I am thankful for.  Most of what I am thankful for is family and I was fortunate enough to have some of my family with me for Thanksgiving.
My brother David came to visit from Toronto.  He was driven by my daughter, Alysse, who needed to rent a car anyway for some weddings she was doing the hair for.  Alysse also brought her fiancé David and Kaitlyn, my other daughter.  I was so glad that they were able to make it!
From Ottawa, came my brother Paul, who drove my sister Carol and her daughter.  Her husband Glenn had to stay home because his mother was in the hospital and because we weren't sure of my nephew’s hockey schedule.
So, with Cavan and I, that made nine for dinner.  A nice number that fit nicely around my dining room table.
Everyone arrived on Saturday, in time for dinner and were able to stay until after Thanksgiving dinner on Sunday.  In preparation, I had made three pumpkin pies, an apple pie and a pecan pie.  That’s the first pecan pie I have ever made.  My pumpkin and apple pie skills are really good, but I think I need work on pecan!
Saturday evening, my daughter Kaitlyn made pumpkin cupcakes and they were delicious!  Oh, and I also made Monkey bread to have for Sunday morning breakfast.
A good time was had by all and everyone was a big help.  David was on turkey and stuffing duty and did a marvelous job.  I took care of the potatoes and various vegetables. Carol always seems to be happy on cleanup duty and I thank all of them for coming and for the extra helping hands! I’m afraid that although I love the visitors, they do wear me out, so I am always so grateful for the help!

So, I am hoping to host Christmas dinner and hope that we will have another group of family gather around.  It may not be the same group, but these occasions are family time and any family that can make it is more than welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment