Saturday 14 October 2017

Thanksgiving

Happy Saturday! I’m afraid that I was really busy last weekend and didn’t slow down to blog, so here I am finally relating the events of last weekend, the Canadian Thanksgiving.  It was an unusually busy time for me, but it was great to spend time with family.
The weekend started Friday night, when my daughters arrived for hamburgers on the barbeque. The weather has been amazing, so it’s great to have the barbeque going.
Saturday morning, my oldest daughter, Alysse was up at 2am, to get ready to head to Brampton for a wedding that she was doing the hair for.  It was a nearly two hour drive from here and she had to be there by 5am to get everyone ready. She had time between that wedding and one in Whitby to scoot home for a few things. After the Whitby wedding, she headed to my place to check on the turkey, which I put in the oven before my youngest daughter Kaitlyn and I headed into Napanee so that she could visit with her grandfather and step-grandmother, as well as her Aunt Linda, Uncle Shane and cousin Alexandra. It was a short, but nice visit.
We headed home to finish our Thanksgiving dinner, although her step-sister Victoria, husband Shavoy and son Caleb had already arrived. We got dinner finished up, and had a great visit together.  Victoria brought her famous apple crumble and we were all thrilled.  I had made three pumpkin pies on the Thursday, so one was also part of dessert.  A little while after dinner, as Caleb was starting to doze, they headed back to Mississauga, dropping Kaitlyn off in Toronto, on the way home.  That was the end of day one of the Thanksgiving dinners!
Sunday, Alysse was kind enough to join me at church, after which we did a bit of shopping at the Cobourg mall before heading home to get ready to drive to my Dad’s place for 3pm.  A little while after we arrived, we headed north to my step-sister’s home, where we had day two of our Thanksgiving dinners! It was a great visit, with much of my family there and we had turkey number two, along with ham.  My brother David brought his famous apple pie, and a cherry pie! I brought another one of our three pumpkin pies--there was a ton of food!
We headed home a little while after dinner, to get ready for day three of the Thanksgiving dinners.  The Monday dinner Cavan was smoking a prime rib roast for.  Alysse headed home in the morning and Jett (our cat) got to come out of the bedroom, since his nemesis Dallas (Alysse’s dog), headed home with her. When the roast was ready, we wrapped in in aluminum foil, towels and an insulated bag and headed into the city to have dinner at Cavan’s brother’s place.  They had ham as well, mashed and scalloped potatoes, with lots of veggies, making for another great dinner.  We also brought pumpkin pie number three, which along with an apple pie that Maureen made, created marvelous dessert choices.
So, three different places, three different Thanksgiving dinners, and great company, making for a great, but rather exhausting Thanksgiving weekend!
Christmas will not be quite so busy, as Dad and Sally will be on a cruise, so it will likely be just dinner here, although we will likely see Cavan’s family at some point.
For those of you in Canada, I hope that you had a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend.  For those of you in the US, I pray that your Thanksgiving is as satisfying, when you celebrate late next month.  For those of you outside of Canada and the US, may you celebrate Thanksgiving all year long!

Blessings to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment