Saturday 26 April 2014

The Day Job

I have read that 90% of authors do not write full time.  I am one of that 90%, although, if you have read previous blogs, you will know that I could actually retire any day now, but with the financial obligation to keep my youngest daughter in school, I’ll be hanging in at the day job for nearly two years yet.
That having been said, I do have the luxury of having adult children who live on their own, so I have no mommy duties, except for paying the bills.
I have to admit, though, that there are still not enough hours in the day!  I don’t know how you writers who are the parents of small children do it!  Do you not sleep at all?  Wow, I bow down to you, that’s for sure.
Well, I am just finishing up my fourth Christian children’s book and that will be it for a while, because as all authors know, the big job is marketing.  If I do a good job at it, and there is enough interest, I will write some more in that series.  If not, well, I’ll have to think about what comes next.
That doesn’t mean that I will stop writing.  I think that most, if not all, authors are driven to write and if God believes that this is what our gift is, then things will work out and we will write and the sales will happen.
This falls under the category of ‘do what you love, love what you do’ which is what I taught my daughters and every Junior Achievement student I ever had. If you align yourself with that, I believe that it is God’s purpose for you, while you are here in this life.
Wouldn’t it be wonderful if everyone was happy to get out of bed in the morning because they loved what they did?  We all would be so much more relaxed and happy.
I did love the IT world, and it allowed me, even as a single parent, to give my kids the necessities.  But now, I grow weary of it and since I am involved with computer software and device vulnerabilities, I worry that the bad guys are winning.

It’s time for someone else to do that stuff and let me just write.  At least, it’s almost time...

No comments:

Post a Comment