Sunday 17 July 2016

One God

Happy Sunday! As I look out at the lovely day here in the resort town of Cobourg, I am happy that I am blessed to live in a very peaceful place and wonder why there are so many non peaceful places in the world.
I went out on a limb in a blog some time ago about one God.  I am fascinated by religions and some time ago, I read a book called ‘A History of God’ by Karen Armstrong. The book speaks to three of the biggest religions in the world:  Judaism, Christianity and Islam.  What do they all have in common?  One God.  He may be called God, Yahweh, or Allah, but those three religions all agree that there is only one Creator.
There are many splinter groups that have broken away from each of them, I’m suppose, but at the core of each of those faiths, is, I’m sure; love God, love yourself and love one another.
So, how is it that we have gotten so far away from that, that we are out killing each other?  None of the faiths say to love only white folks, or dislike any other color of folks, or even dislike anyone who does not follow your own faith.  Why have we strayed away from the simple ‘love one another?’
In the Old Testament, Moses came down from the mountain with ten commandments that essentially further define the three that I mentioned and I wonder if the commandment that asks that we not ‘covet thy neighbor’s stuff’ has anything to do with it. Do people hate because of what others have, that they do not?
I think that may be part of it, but we know that prejudice is learned.  We are not born with it.  So, what kind of ignorance causes us to pass on prejudice to our children?  We are in the 21st century.  One of my daughters suggested to me that in a few years, there will be no prejudice against blacks.  I pray that would be so, but even though we have come a long way, we still have a very long way to go.
No matter what your heritage, there are always some ‘bad apples.’ There are some bad caucasians, look at Hitler! A huge example of someone actually trying to wipe out the Jews because he seemed to believe that they were the cause of some grief.  Wow.
I guess that I am really simplifying things and as my kids always say; I like to believe in unicorns and rainbows.  I want to believe the best in people.  I at least want to believe that it is possible.  At the end of the day, or perhaps at the end of our days here on Earth, who cares what color or religion anyone is?  We need to help each other, to be able to sustain the human race as a whole.  Let’s get it together folks!  There is enough food, shelter and water for all.  Let’s share!
This coming from a newly appointed chaplain for the Community Catholic Church of Canada.  Someone who wants to see harmony and peace in the world.  Call your god whatever you want, but I’m pretty sure that there was nothing said by Him that told any of us to go around killing each other.  Let us make peace.
Let’s make it happen!  God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment