Monday 19 September 2016

Autumn

Happy Monday, dear friends!  Summer seems to be holding on until the last minute this year.  I actually broke down and turned on the air conditioning today.  This was partly because I am crocheting this huge Christmas tree skirt and it is actually making me sweat as it rests on my knees--I’m almost finished, though!
Autumn is my favorite time of year.  I just love the colors of the leaves of the trees--the beautiful yellows, oranges and reds, that unfortunately, signal the coming of winter, which is not one of my favorite seasons.
According to the Farmers’ Almanac, this year the autumnal equinox falls on September 22, 2016 at 10:21 A.M. EDT.  This equinox occurs when the Sun appears to cross the celestial equator from north to south. So, I’m sorry to let you know that this past weekend was the last weekend of summer.  I, however, shall be celebrating by working on my crocheting projects and welcome the open windows and fresh air.
Autumn also brings Thanksgiving, which is a time for my family to get together and celebrate the four birthdays that happen around that time.  I’m hoping that Dad and Sally will be hosting again this year, but if not, I shall take it upon myself to take care of it.  I hosted Thanksgiving a few years ago, and I must confess that the turkey was not good--truthfully, it was awful and really dry.  I promise my family that I will get the really good Butterball turkey this time--none of that cheap turkey investment ever again.  A Butterball turkey makes all the difference!
This fall, I will also get my butt going on getting some bulbs planted down the south side of my house.  I’ll start with some easy stuff like alium and day lilies.  I also have some of those Canada tulips to add to the front garden, to celebrate the 150th anniversary of Canada.  I am declaring that I shall have more color around my house!  In the spring, I shall invest in a bunch of hostas, to fill in the side of the house.  With any luck, that will help to keep down the spread of weeds.  It will still take some manual work, but it’s a start!
I also invested in two huge pots of mums.  The Rotary Club of Cobourg sells them every year and this year the proceeds went not only to the End Polio Now campaign, but also to the Northumberland Hills Hospital Foundation.  So, not only shall I have some color out the front for the fall, but I shall plant some mums down the side of the house, so that I shall have some color next fall.
Getting some planting done shall happen after our Canadian thanksgiving, which happens on the second weekend of October.  It will probably take me a while, as my MS will dictate my schedule, but I’ll do what I can.  As long as everything is perennials, they should be pretty low maintenance.
Well, time to get back to the Christmas tree skirt.  I should be done later this week.  I only have seven rows left to crochet, but each row takes me more than an hour at this point, so, it a bit of a slow go.  I will confess, however, that I am really pleased with how it is looking.  Even the arthritis has been only mildly annoying, so, I shall carry on!
Have a gentle week everyone! Find the joy in the changing of the seasons and may God bless you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment