Monday 5 September 2016

Labor Day

Happy Labor Day Monday!  Here in Canada, of course, it is Labour Day.  We like our ‘u’ in words!  It is also the last day that stands between summer vacation and school.  Here in the lovely town of Cobourg, it is a bit of a resting day before I begin my craft projects.
It is also the first Labor Day that I don’t have a child preparing for school, since 1994!  Kaitlyn finished her undergrad in April and is now getting rather discouraged trying to find a job in her chosen career.  Fortunately, she is still working full time at Saks, so with a little help, she is able to support herself and stay in her downtown Toronto apartment.
From Wikipedia:
Labour Day (Labor Day in the United States) is an annual holiday to celebrate the achievements of workers. Labour Day has its origins in the labour union movement, specifically the eight-hour day movement, which advocated eight hours for work, eight hours for recreation, and eight hours for rest.
For most countries, Labour Day is synonymous with, or linked with, International Workers' Day, which occurs on 1 May. For other countries, Labour Day is celebrated on a different date, often one with special significance for the labour movement in that country.
In Canada and the United States, Labour Day is celebrated on the first Monday of September and considered the unofficial end of summer, with summer vacations ending and students returning to school around then.
In the US, Labor Day was created by the labor movement in the late 19th century and became a federal holiday in 1894.  
In Canada, Labour Day (French: Fête du Travail) has been celebrated on the first Monday in September in Canada since the 1880s.  The origins of Labour Day in Canada can be traced back to December 1872 when a parade was staged in support of the Toronto Typographical Union's strike for a 58-hour work-week.  Yikes!
Basically, this day is to recognise all who labor for their pay, and ties into union work, that has helped to keep workers safe and fight for reasonable hours, fair pay and a safe environment to work in.
I will confess that I only briefly worked in positions that were part of unions and I get rather frustrated with union rules, because I like to work a bit above and beyond what is expected of me.
Having said that, now that I’m retired, I need to manage only my own expectations for what I need to accomplish in a day.  Tomorrow, I begin my crochet projects and I have a few lined up, hoping that my crochet talent can be resurrected to produce some Christmas gifts!  My biggest project is a Christmas tree skirt, I’m going to make for my friend Viv.  Sh!  Don’t tell her.  It’s a surprise!
So, dear friends, enjoy your Labor (Labour) Day and may you have a gentle and blessed week.  God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment