Sunday 21 August 2016

Prayer

Happy Sunday everyone!  It’s a lovely day here in the resort town of Cobourg, but alas, I have no energy to go out and enjoy it.  I sit here in my nice cool basement office willing my fingers to obey me on the keyboard.  
I have just finished reading the book ‘Still Alice.’  I had seen the movie too and for those of you who have not, it’s about a woman who, at the age of only 50, is diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's. There are many diseases in this world, but for those of us who have worked with our intellect all our lives, it has to be the toughest.  I don’t actually know anyone with the early onset form of the disease, but I do know several who have had, or have Alzheimer’s.
Cavan’s mother has it, as did his paternal grandmother. So he has it on both sides of his family.  It takes a lot of patience to deal with it, for both the caregiver and the patient.  I was very close to a great aunt who dealt with it.  She would pop in and out of time spaces.  When she was in the past, I didn’t exist and she called my father Harry, who was her brother (my father’s father).  It was very interesting to deal with.
If you ever get the chance to see the movie ‘Away from Her,’ it is worth the watch.  It is also about Alzheimer’s.  A very well done movie that tackles the issues of someone put into a care home for it, and the poor husband who has to deal with it.
Whether it is Alzheimer’s, like my mother-in-law, Huntington’s, like my sister, MS, like me, celiac, like my brother, or any number of other diseases out there, there are medications, or avoidance of foods, or simply rest that is prescribed, but the only assistance I am qualified to offer is prayer.  I will be honest in saying that I don’t pray for a cure, perhaps I should, although to be honest, even if one was found today for any of those diseases, it would be years before it was viable for anyone with the diagnosis.  I simply pray for a gentle journey.  Most of the diseases listed are at least somewhat unpredictable, so, if the journey is at least gentle, perhaps the suffering on both sides will be minimized at least a bit.
Prayer to me is almost like breathing.  It is part of my life and has been for many years.  I have said a lot of prayers for my daughters over the years and must confess that I have said few for myself, except to ask for forgiveness.  Like all Christians, I know that I am not perfect and have lots to ask forgiveness for.  I have discovered over the years, though, that some of the things I needed forgiveness for, were not done out of spite and were sometimes even caused by my rather sarcastic humor.  I do need to keep that in check!
So, this is a rather short blog, for which I do ask forgiveness, but I seem to have over-challenged myself, which has resulted in my fingers not wishing to cooperate.  It’s a wonder the backspace key isn’t worn right down on this keyboard!  Ah well, perhaps one of my many blessings…….

I thank everyone for visiting my blog and I pray that all of your journeys are gentle. God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment