Saturday 27 August 2016

The Theatre!

Happy Saturday!  It looks like a nice day out there, but I have laundry and other indoor chores to do, so I’m inside regardless of the weather.  I’m hoping for a nice day tomorrow, as I travel with a friend to Niagara-on-the-Lake to see a show!  For the moment it is suggesting rain, but hopefully that will change tomorrow.
When I was in high school, I had the opportunity to travel from Pembroke, where we were living, to Ottawa for a really nice dinner and live theatre.  Oddly enough, I don’t remember the show we saw.  I was with a friend and her parents.  I do remember what the father called a driver that nearly hit him, though, as my father wouldn’t have said such a thing if his hair was on fire!
Anyway, the event had me hooked on seeing live theatre and wherever I lived after I was on my own, I tried to get out to at least one show a year.  I took my daughters to see their first live show, ‘Beauty and the Beast,’ when my youngest was three years old.  They loved it and we have seen many shows in the just over twenty years since then.
Sometimes I take both of the girls to a show and sometimes only one.  Interestingly enough, we mostly see musicals, which all three of us love.  They were only about eight and ten, when we were visiting a cousin, who suggested that we watch a video before dinner and my kids bypassed the kids videos, to watch ‘Seven Brides for Seven Brothers!’  We had it at home, of course, and it is still one of our favorites.  One of their other favorites is ‘Oliver!’, which has great music, although it is, in some places in the play, very dark and sad.  I have no idea how many shows we have seen together over the years.
I also like to get out to see shows with my friend Viv.  We were in Stratford for ‘The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe’ earlier this year and will be in Niagara-on-the-Lake to see ‘Engaged’ tomorrow.  Last year, we saw two shows in Niagara-on-the-Lake and one in Toronto.
Cavan and I also get to a few shows.  Annually, we go to the naughty panto in Port Hope.  It isn’t an outstanding show, but it is pretty funny.  Cavan and I also try to get to the dinner theatre here in Cobourg.  We saw ‘Harvey’ there last year and it was really well done and the buffet was delicious as always!
Last year, Sally and Dad took Cavan and I to a show in Gananoque.  It is a lovely little theatre right on Lake Ontario and we had a lovely lunch and a great time at the show.
When I go on cruises, I love to see the shows there.
So, take in some local live theatre, or stretch your horizons and get to Niagara-on-the-Lake, or Stratford, or any city near you!  You will be glad you did!
Well, folks, that is it for today.  Back to laundry and other chores, including packing for tomorrow.
God bless you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment